Thursday 3 October 2013

Supporting The Gay Rights in Pakistan and The Pakistani Trolls

Just as I was going through the regular news feed on my Facebook. Apart from the regular hogwash, something caught my eye. It was a post from The Express Tribune. The headline mentioned some gay website being shutdown in Pakistan by PTA.  PTA is a "pseudo-moralistic" internet authority responsible for shutting down a number of sites for (sanity-knows-what) immoral-istic behaviors in Pakistan. It is the same authority that has shutdown Youtube in Pakistan. After mustering up all my courage, I decided to write and propose my views on the ideas of individual freedom (and of course the rights for homosexuals). It was my friend, who decided to write first. Initially, I decided to support her comments. And after a few comments, it became obvious that we were the favorite targets on the comments' section.


As per the comments above, a lot of them suggested that being a homosexual was a mental illness. It seemed that all of them had done some sort of mastery on critical-psychological and critical-behavioral issues; to come up with such a determined conclusion. Comments after comments, suggested that being a homosexual was a mental disorder and they were "rapists". I found such comments disturbing in two major ways. Firstly, the Pakistani society still holds a strong stigma against mental illnesses and disorders. And secondly, they had no clue on what was meant to be-of-consent and without consent. I would elaborate on my first concern first. It was very obvious that they held a strong stigma against homosexuals and just as the human brain works. They would only associate one thing negative to another thing negative to store similar information in their brains. In other words, for them to say that homosexuals were mental patients, and needed not to be taken serious. They were also suggesting that, mentally disordered people should be "outcasted" and needed a "fix" too.


Many of them justified their answers by saying if homosexuality is legalized, it will be rapists next. What a nice try on an illogical argument! Clearly, a vast majority of our population does need an education on what is consent and what is not consent. I am talking of an English-writing and English-reading middle-class. God bless the rest!


Apparently, there is also no mercy for the sexually abused!


Just as the scandal continued, we were made subject to of being gay (not that we had a problem). Helping the poor doesn't make you poor. But again logic and reasoning had little significance.

However, the comment below took the cake!



I believe that shaadi.com should launch its next campaign around "Get married before you turn gay!". Seriously, only a "Desi" could come up with such a logic inversely-proportionating "Rishtas" with Homosexuality. For this one, I had to stand up to give (it) a standing ovation and sit down to eat the rest of the cake left on my computer table.

And then there was something about Norway, the freezing cold weather and frozen English?




How would she react when she gets a visa to Canada? She would go and live in a country where gay marriage is legal.



In all seriousness, I was amazed to see how much hatred people had towards gays and lesbians. Even if one doesn't agree, they should still have the mercy to show compassion. I think my fellow countrymen watch a lot of this man to come up with the logic they do. Dr Zakir Naik blames "blue movies" for homosexuality.






Blue movies or white movies. In my opinion, everyone has a right to be, express, and live the way they want to as long as they remain to be (ethically) law-abiding citizens.

No comments:

Post a Comment